Everything you need to know about Matcha
+ common questions answeredOUR MATCHA STORY
This month we are challenging our family, staff, and customers to drink matcha once per day for the month of January. Our inspiration to start the Matcha Challenge came from the 3 three time cancer survivor and matriarch of our family, Dana. She is an advocate of living a preventative lifestyle to reduce risk of developing cancer, and since matcha is rich in antioxidants, it is one of Dana's go-to teas!
READ MORE ON THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF MATCHA + ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS. ⬇
- Chlorophyll, the element that gives green tea and other plants their signature green color, is also a powerful detoxifier, helping to eliminate both chemicals and heavy metals from the body. Because matcha is carefully shade-grown, it is super rich in chlorophyll, making it a superior daily detox.
- Studies show that green tea and matcha can decrease several heart disease risk factors.
- Matcha increases metabolism and fat burning, both of which aid weight loss.
- Matcha is rich in L-theanine, a rare amino acid that actually promotes a state of relaxation and well-being by acting upon the brain's functioning. Some people enjoy matcha most for its mood-boosting effects!
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT MATCHA
1. Have you ever drank so much tea you felt nauseous?
Matcha is super nutrient dense and tannic, so it is best consumed in smaller doses after a meal to avoid nausea (just like many vitamins). Sip slowly and listen to your body. If you start to feel uncomfortable, take a break from your matcha, and come back to it later.
2. How do you make matcha?
All you need is 1 teaspoon of matcha per day! There are many ways to make matcha, but the most simple and popular way is to make a matcha latte. Traditionally, people will use matcha making tools such as a Matcha Bowl and Whisk, and while we love to use these brew tools, you don't necessarily need them to make a great cup of matcha!
We recommend using water no hotter than 175℉ (hot but not boiling), so that your matcha won't taste bitter or astringent.
To make a latte, add a few splashes of the hot water to your matcha and whisk until frothy and completely dissolved. Then add frothed milk (or your favorite dairy alternative) and honey. We also love matcha lattes with Mexican Vanilla Extract and Vietnamese Cinnamon!
Not into lattes? No problem - you can easily mix a little matcha into your favorite tea to up the health benefits.
3. What's the difference between green tea and matcha?
Matcha is green tea in powdered form, and when you drink matcha, you're ingesting the whole leaf with all its amazing nutrients!
4. Are there other ways to use matcha?
Absolutely! You can make refreshers, cocktails, hot cocoa, baked goods, salad dressings, and so much more with matcha. There is no right way to use matcha, so have fun during the challenge by experimenting with flavors you like.
We would love if you shared feedback and recipes with us throughout the challenge! Don't hesitate to reach out to us in our DMs or send us a message through our website to ask questions and share your experience!