Have you noticed the recent hype of turmeric and TURMERIC POWDER? It's hard not to! We are seeing this spice more and more in today's food and drink recipes! We even have guests coming into our stores asking about a Turmeric tea! But why? What's so special about turmeric?
Turmeric is a plant that grows in Asia and Central America. We commonly see it ground into a powder on spice shelves. Turmeric is traditionally used to flavor curry and other Indian dishes!
The active ingredient in Turmeric is called curcumin, and it comes with lots of health benefits! Turmeric also contains iron, manganese, potassium and Vitamin C, according to the USDA.
Some of the benefits of Turmeric include:
- Reduces inflammation and relieves pain - especially due to arthritis aggravation.
- Digestive aide - Studies show that turmeric in our diet not only flavors our food, but helps with the digestion of our food as well! Turmeric helps relieve gut inflammation and gut permeability, both which affect digestive efficiency.
- Boosts immunity - Turmeric provides the body with antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, and is antiviral and antibacterial. Turmeric helps the digestive system to function normally, which in turn helps keep illness and disease away.
- Helps improve brain function and fights against depression.
- Antioxidant rich - Antioxidants help reduce the presence of free radicals in our bodies!
- Liver protection - Curcumin is effective at increasing bile in our liver, which helps with fat digestion, which also promotes weight loss.
While OBTC currently does not offer a tea with Turmeric Powder already in it, you can add turmeric to any of our teas! Try blending it with the BLOOD ORANGE to add some citrus flavor and Vitamin C! Or try blending it with GINGER CHAI for a ginger and turmeric Flavor! Since our Turmeric is in powder form, all you need to do is stir in about a teaspoon (or as much as you like) into whatever tea you choose!
Not quite sure about drinking Turmeric?? Check out our recipe for LEMON TURMERIC HUMMUS!
- Brandon, Britt. "The Top 10 Health Benefits of Turmeric: The Sacred Root that Rejuvenates the Body and Mind." Conscious Lifestyle Magazine, Conscious Lifestyle Magazine, https://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/turmeric-benefits/
- Gunnars, Kris. "10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin." Healthline, Healthline Media, 13 July 2018, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric#section4.
- Telpner, Meghan. "Simple Turmeric Tea Recipe." Meghan Telpner, Meghan Telpner, https://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/tea-time-with-turmeric/
- Ware, Megan. "Everything you need to know about turmeric." Medical News Today, Healthline Media UK Ltd., 24 May 2018, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306981.php.