for the adventurous chef 👩🍳
Feel a little chill in the air? Try out this hardy Serbian dish to warm up your heart and fill your belly. Sarma is stuffed cabbage with rice and meat, marinated in a spicy tomato sauce. With paprika, onion, garlic, and our Serbian Blend, this traditional dish is bursting with comforting, warming flavors.
with carrots, onion, tomato, spinach, celery, bell peppers, turmeric, garlic, sea salt, and parsley
Great on meats, veggies, in stews and on Eastern European dishes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 container (22 oz) whole cabbage leaves, drained
- 1 cup raw rice, rinsed
- 1 egg
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 onion, chopped finely (one for stuffing and one for roux)
- 2 Tbsp. OBTC Serbian Blend
- 10 tsp. sweet Hungarian Paprika (4 tsp for stuffing and 6 tsp for roux)
- 2 tsp. hot Hungarian Paprika (for roux)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-6 ham hocks or other smoked meat of choice
- chopped scallions & kefir drizzle for garnish
HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, ground pork, rice, garlic, onion, and seasonings.
- Add the egg to make the mixture easier to handle. Mix well.
- Lay out all of your cabbage leaves.
- Heap 2-3 tablespoons of filling on each cabbage leaf.
- Fold the bottom of the cabbage leaf up over the meat, Then fold sides to the center, and roll away from yourself to encase completely.
- Repeat until meat filling is gone.
- Discard the cabbage core and coarsely chop any remaining cabbage except the tough outer leaves you have reserved.
- Spread chopped cabbage on the bottom of a large pot.
- Layer on the cabbage rolls, seam side down.
- Cover rolls with reserved tough outer leaves & ham hocks and a cup of water.
- Make your roux (sauté one onion in a pan with your olive oil - add your flour and extra Hungarian paprika). Top with water.
- Pour over rolls until mixture is level with rolls.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Discard bones from hocks and serve 1 roll/plate.
- Drizzle with your kefir & chopped scallions & enjoy!
- Keep in mind - these freeze super well!
Make something different for dinner with...