Healthy Heart Seasoning is OBTC's January 2019 Spice of the Month! It is our salt-free, all purpose seasoning! But the lack of salt is not the only reason why this spice is good for you! The ingredients that make up this blend are good for you too!
- Cayenne - One of the active ingredients found in cayenne peppers, capsaicin, is known to have pain-relieving properties. Capsaicin can temporarily relieve pain from arthritis, psoriasis, and shingles. Cayenne pepper can also promote cardiovascular health, suppress appetite, and burn body fat. Cayenne is good to prevent respiratory infections, and contains many vitamins and nutrients.
- Chervil - Chervil is an herb that is used in many dishes for it's flavoring. It is used to help lower blood pressure and stimulate digestion!
- Coriander - Coriander has blood sugar-lowering effects, eases digestive discomfort, decreases blood pressure, fights food poisoning, decreases bad cholesterol, fights UTIs, and supports healthy menstruation.
- Dill - Dill helps promote digestion, fight insomnia, promotes bone health, manages diabetes, prevents excess gas, boosts immunity, relieves diarrhea, treats respiratory disorders and promotes oral care.
- Fennel - The nutrients in fennel are linked to many health benefits: maintaining bone structure and health, lowering blood pressure, decreases the risk of heart disease, reduces inflammation, promotes a healthy digestive tract, and increases iron absorption.
- Garlic - Garlic is used as a flavoring agent in many spices and dishes! Not only does it taste good, but it's good for you too! Garlic is good for lowering the risk of developing lung cancer; the diallyl sulfide that is in garlic helps fight bacteria; diallyl trisulfide, also in garlic, helps prevent hearts attacks and heart failure; helps lower high blood pressure and bad cholesterol, and garlic protects against the common cold!
Healthy Heart Seasoning is an all-purpose seasoning, so it's great on any kind of dish! I like to sprinkle some over chicken or steamed veggies! Check out these tasty recipes!
- Healthy Heart Biscuits
- Nordqvist, Christian. "Garlic: Proven benefits." Medical News Today, Healthline Media UK, Ltd., 18 August 2017, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265853.php.
- Patel, Kiran. "15 Incredible Dill Benefits." Organic Facts: Unbiased information on health, Organic Information Services Pvt Ltd, 3 January 2019, https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/seed-and-nut/dill.html.
- Price, Annie. "Control Blood Sugar, Cholesterol & Blood Pressure with Coriander Seeds." Dr. Axe: Food is Medicine, Dr. Axe, 4 April 2016, https://draxe.com/coriander/.
- Vyas, A; Shukla S.S.; Pandey, R; Jain, V.; Joshi, V; and Gidwani, B. "Chervil: A Multifunctional Miraculous Nutritional Herb." Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, 11: 163-171.
- Ware, Megan. "The health benefits of cayenne pepper." Medical News Today, Healthline Media UK, Ltd., 3 January 2018, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267248.php.
- Ware, Megan. "Why is fennel good for you?" Medical News Today, Healthline Media UK, Ltd., 23 August 2018, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284096.php.
- Weil, Andrew. "Cooking With Spices: Cayenne Pepper." Weil, Healthy Lifestyle Brands, LLC., https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/cooking-cookware/cooking-with-spices-cayenne-pepper/.