Red Chile Sauce:
The New Mexican Way
Chile plays a significant role in New Mexican culture and runs deep in our roots. Dating back all the way to 1600, chile has flourished in the sun-drenched valleys of southern New Mexico and we put it on pretty much everything - even on our license plates! One of New Mexican's favorite dish is a well made red chile sauce that you can use on anything and everything. Here's a recipe that features our very own Red Chile Powder!
Check out the recipe below. ⬇
What you will need from us
Hatch Red Chile Powder - Hatch, New Mexico
Did you know that the very place where most of New Mexico (including us) sources their chile is considered the chile capital of the world? Hatch, NM is where it's at and many of us consider the small town to be the heart of our state! After all, chile does pump through our veins. 😜
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon or caldo de pollo
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. of Mexican oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp. OBTC Red Chile Powder
- Heat oil on medium, add chicken bouillon or caldo de pollo, and lightly brown in oil.
- Add water to mixture. Careful, water in hot oil will bubble!
- Simmer on low and stir constantly for one minute.
- Add Red Chile Powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Mexican oregano, and bay leaf.
- Let simmer on low for 2 more minutes (stirring frequently).
- If you like a thicker sauce, just mix a sprinkle of cornstarch in cold water and stir into your sauce.
- Serve over heated (steamed or lightly fried) corn tortillas topped with a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese to make a quick enchilada.
- Optional: top with a fried egg and garish with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and diced onion. Drizzle Mexican crema (or sour cream) on top.
Check out our other New Mexican sourced spices.
Hatch Green Chile Powder - Hatch, New Mexico
Leave a comment