A lot actually! You can use energy wisely by doing all of the following:
- unplugging electronics when you aren't using them
- installing a programmable thermostat
- using energy efficient light bulbs
- implementing strategies to keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer with out heat or air conditioning. This can include strategies like opening windows in the early morning to let cool air in and closing window coverings during the day to block out sun and lower the indoor temperature.
We recommend using 3 at a time. These wool dryer balls are fair trade and chemical free. Wool dryer balls not only cut down on drying time but also help to eliminate static. They are a great alternative to dryer sheets as they are reusable for up to a thousand dry cycles! You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to each ball: we love using LAVENDER OIL!
Is there a great farmer's market in your area? Go to it! Support your local growers and producers. You can also grow so many things at home to reduce your impact. A small package of herbs at the grocery store makes a long and environmentally damaging commute to the store shelf. Show off your green thumb by growing your own herb garden! It just takes a little bit of love and patience.
This 100% recycled fiber egg carton planter contains everything you'll need to start growing basil, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, and sage.
The James Beard Foundation launched a wonderful program called "the Blended Burger Project," in which restaurants across the United States were encouraged to blend their burger patties with 30% mushrooms. Since 10 billion burgers are consumed in the US annually, replacing 30% of beef with mushrooms would do the following:
- Save as many emissions as 2.3 million cars
- Conserve as much water as 2.6 million Americans use at home
- Reduce agricultural land demand by an area larger than the state of Maryland
Food waste also has a substantial impact on our climate! Most refrigerators are crammed with items that frequently go to waste. Raid your pantry, dig in the back of the refrigerator, and investigate the contents of your freezer when planning a meal. Using what you already have will help you avoid wasting: this matters a lot. Single use plastic waste is another environmental threat - check out our OBTC BAMBOO WATER BOTTLE if you're in the market for an outdoor hydration companion.
THE OBTC BAMBOO WATER BOTTLE
This thermos keeps tea cold or hot twice as long as most travel thermoses. It is leak proof and a great gym or outdoor adventure companion as it is slim and fits in most cup holders.
We recommend hand washing this bottle!